What’s New In My Kitchen: FreshBag Reusable Fruit & Vegetable Bags
As I have mentioned in the post on reusable coffee cups, reducing our house’s wastage and carbon footprint has become a hobby of mine. Luckily, my husband completely supports and shares my sentiment.
Unfortunately, in Nigeria wastage and rubbish is a big (more like COLOSSAL) problem. Single-use plastic bags are still distributed at no cost and hardly anyone reuses any plastic, whether it is the plastic bag they got when they were at the supermarket, or the better quality plastic container their takeaway lunch was in. They give out a plastic bag for everything, including a single lollipop.
But, this is not just a problem in Nigeria. As you know it is a global dilemma, and we need to do better in terms of taking are of this planet and all of its beautiful creatures.
Stepping Up My Game
I take grocery bags with me when I go shopping. I have also gotten into the habit of taking my reusable coffee cup with me. This year I have decided to step it up, I’ve bought reusable straws and reusable fruit and veggie bags to get my fresh produce weighed and transported in.
I came across a local (South African) company that manufacture reusable plastic bags. FreshBag’s main purpose is to help reduce the planet’s plastic bag usage / wastage, but they are also committed to creating jobs within South Africa. FreshBag boasts with being ethical (paying their workers not just a minimum wage, but a living wage), and they pledge to creating sustainable business practices for all involved in their business.
There are a few sizes available and these drawstring bags come in two materials, namely nylon mesh and cotton. A bought a few mesh bags to take with when I go shopping in and around Lagos where a lot of fresh produce is not pre-packaged and you can choose your own. Yes, plastic free transportation and display is great, but ONLY if you refuse to make use of the single-use plastic bags that are free for you to roll off. This is where the FreshBag reusable fruit & veg bags come in handy.
At first it was a bit strange taking out these reusable bags when I chose fruits and vegetables, and of course the stares never get less, but I have gotten used to it by now. I hope that my actions will trigger a conversation and I might be able to inform someone of the damaging effects of plastic.
What I think…
- Lightweight and can fit into your handbag / reusable shopping bags.
- Easy to clean – rinse in water or wash in the washing machine on a cold cycle.
- Supporting a local small business with sustainable business practices.
- The mesh bags are see-through, so they can easily be stored and their contents be spotted in the fridge.
- FreshBag also manufactures cotton bags specifically made for the buying and storing of bread and dried goods.
- The sticker with the price does not stick well onto the mesh bags, but I just hand the price sticker to the cashier separately.
- These bags are not large enough for buying in bulk, so you will need many bags if you know you are buying large quantities of fruits and vegetables.
Christmas Is Around The Corner
These reusable bags are great for alternative Christmas presents, or even for ‘wrapping’ your gifts instead of wrapping paper ending up in the bin.